10 January 2008

what's the most amazing thing that's happened to you? (take 2)

I was asked to think of another amazing thing that has happened to me...and this morning as I drove home from dropping Laurel off for her Clay Class, it came to me.

9 months pregnant. Madison Square Garden ~ April 26, 1998. President Gordon B. Hinckley. Rosa Jones.

My first baby was due on the 24th of April, 1998. So when it was announced that President Hinckley would be speaking at Madison Square Garden, I had mixed emotions. I thought it would be such an amazing experience to be in the same room as the Prophet and hear him speak...but I had no idea when the baby would be born. I circled the date on my calendar and explained (many times) to my co-workers that the opportunity to see President Hinckley at Madison Square Garden would be the same as if they had the opportunity to hear the Pope speak to them.

I couldn't believe it when the baby hadn't been born and we were able to go! We took Rosa Jones, a member of our Yonkers 1st Branch. Rosa was a convert ~ a true, modern Pioneer. She suffered from diabetes and had lost much weight and was almost completely blind. But her spirit was strong.

Doug dropped Rosa and me off at the front of the Garden, and then used his Press Pass to park just a block away ~ for FREE! We were later than we should have been and worried about seats. As we entered the arena, an Usher came to us and asked if we needed Handicapped seating. My first thought was, "No...I'm just pregnant." And then I remembered Rosa ~ who was gripping Doug's arm as he guided her down the aisles (we were quite high in the seating). The Usher guided us down, Down, DOWN. And we realized we weren't stopping until we hit the FLOOR level! Rosa got us GREAT seats.

I do not remember a single word that President Hinckley spoke to us. But I remember the feeling that flooded my body from head to toe as the Prophet walked in and the entire congregation of Madison Square Garden rose to its feet and sang, "We Thank Thee O God For A Prophet."


I truly am grateful for a Prophet. I know that my Heavenly Father has given us a Prophet to lead us and guide us through this troubled world. I know that I am a child of God. He knows me and loves me and will never leave me alone.

Laurel was born on May 3, a little less than week later. I'm so happy that she waited to join us until I had this amazing experience!


read details about that day:

No comments: