29 December 2007

what birthday do you remember the most?

You might think I'm going to say my 8th birthday ~ that was when I got baptized. And I do remember it. But the birthday I remember the most is my 9th birthday. 1979. Sandy, UT. We lived on Brighton View Drive...I think at Brighton View Drive and 9400 South ??


My parents let me have a Slumber Party and I invited 9 people...some of them were boys ~ they weren't going to stay later than 9pm, but as it turned out, none of them came. Just the girls. My friends and I put a big mattress on the floor of the basement family room (maybe there was more than one mattress) and we jumped on it with our sleeping bags and had pillow fights. For dinner we made French Bread Pizzas ~ to this day I think of that as being the ideal birthday party meal.

My friend LeighAnn Leonard gave me a Hi-Q game. I am not sure why it was my favorite gift, but it was. I also remember my dad teasing LeighAnn about being "lovely Ann" because she signed her card to me, "Love, LeighAnn" and, of course, when you say it, it sounds like Lovely Ann. He's always had an odd sense of humor.


Here is what I wrote in my journal about that day:

other odd memories about that house: black linoleum floors in the kitchen; the strangest toilet in the world in the basement (you had to climb 3 stairs to get to the toilet, and it was built up to look like a "throne"; and a 3-story treehouse in the backyard that overlooked the Kentucky Fried Chicken drive-thru window.


PS ~ looking through my scrapbook reminded me of my 6th birthday (1976). My birthday fell on Easter Sunday that year. My mom bought special Wilton cake pans that made a giant Easter Egg cake, and little, matching cupcakes. I remember that she spent hours decorating them, and I was so proud of how beautiful they were! I also felt very lucky that she took so much time to do something just for me.


3 comments:

The Royals said...

Every once in a wile we drive by that house. I always tell my boys that's where Russell, our dog, died. They are probably sick of it,but hey. They still have that big tree in the backyard. That was also when the first Bionic Woman came on tv and me and Cyndie would do the slo-mo run down the hall into each other!

Julie P. (babyofmine) said...

Original Bionic woman = awesome. Did you make the noise, too? ddudududududuuduuu

There are 2 birthdays that come to mind. The first is when I turned 10, in Orem, Utah. I don't remember how many girls I invited, but I think they all came. I didn't bother with the boys, since boys were yucky (but cute). I honestly don't remember a whole lot about the party, but I remember the great time I had. It was a sleepover, and I remember I had to stay up later than anyone else, because I still wet the bed *hangs head in shame* and I didn't want anyone to see or hear me putting on a diaper (Pull-ups hadn't been invented yet). Also, it was late November, so there was snow, and we played all over the huge yard we had. My friends adored the gazebo! Oh, and I remember that my sisters "hosted" the party, because mom wasn't feeling well...not that she ever did.

Next vivid was my 14th birthday. My BFF Susan and I had been fighting over a boy (Bucky) *hangs head in shame* for a few months, and it seemed he had finally "chosen" me. Dad was working at BYU at the time, so we got into bowling for free (I think). It was my first co-ed party. 3 boys and about 7 girls came. After bowling, we came back to the house for cake and ice cream. It was snowing that night. Dad drove most of the kids home in the gigantic May Mobile (15 passenger van), and Bucky was the last to be dropped off, even though it made sense for him to among the first. I think that was dad's present to me. LOL Bucky and I kissed for the first time. It was very romantical to me.

Grandpa Dennis said...

you kissed Bucky? ee-euuuu...