26 December 2007

what were your favorite subjects in school? which didn't you like?

my favorite subjects were always reading and spelling (aka english). In third grade [Sandy Elementary ~ Sandy, UT] I was 2nd runner-up in our 3rd grade spelling bee. In 5th grade I was in the school spelling bee; in 6th grade [Bonneville Elementary ~ Orem, UT] I wasn't, and it made me cry ~ for a loooooooonng time! I always remember liking to read...but in 7th grade [Sacajawea Jr. High ~ Spokane, WA] it became an obsession (or an escape) and every night I would read at least one entire book (think: Outsiders by SE Hinton; and Are you there God? It's me, Margaret by Judy Blume, etc.). My favorite book in 2nd grade [Adams Elementary ~ Spokane, WA] was Tikki Tikki Tembo by Arlene Mosel...I must have checked it out a dozen times that year. Somebody should buy that for me...


I never really "didn't like" a subject, but I have always struggled with math and science..and history because I can't remember dates to save my life. When I was learning how to count money in first grade [Cold Springs Elementary ~ Missoula, MT] it would make me cry because I would get so frustrated...my dad sat down with REAL money (not the drawings on paper) and try to help me. I don't know what happened, but it finally "clicked" and made sense to me. When I was a Junior in High School [Central Kitsap High School ~ Silverdale, WA] I got a "D" in Chemistry...I'm convinced that Mr. Bierman gave me the D as a gift, and not because I earned it...

1 comment:

Julie P. (babyofmine) said...

I loved "English" because it usually involved reading (which I was super-good at! LOL) and spelling (I'm also a pro!). I also adored geography. In junior high, I fell in love with Spanish and Geology.
I have always HATED (yes, I have to yell it) PE. It seemed stupid to me, to be graded on how fast you ran, how many goals you could score, or how well you could bend. I HATED IT! I also had bad knees, probably a touch of asthma (I was diagnosed with that as an adult), and my hips are weird, so bending to touch my toes is not even an option. Now, thinking about it, it's easy to see why so many people think of that class as "an easy A," but I absolutely HATED it. I was a geek and didn't know it, so the same people who excelled at PE might have HATED English class. LOL
I loved math until I hit algebra class, then it all went to poo-poo for me. I couldn't grasp that! It took me WEEKS to figure out what was going on. And I suddenly was not the "smart" one. That was weird. Geometry was even harder for me, so I skipped it for 2 years until it was forced upon me (different school districts required it at different grades), but that time I caught on, and once again was the "smart" one. :P
I don't really care for history classes, but I loved classes that focused on current events.