25 January 2008

what did you do at recess when you were my age?

I don't remember recess in Kindergarten (Russell Park Elementary & Jefferson Elementary ~ Missoula, MT)...I'm sure we had a couple, but I just don't remember them. I do remember that the first school I went to had an automatic flusher...not the new modern ones we have now (with the infrared "eye")...the black toilet seat would sink a bit after you sat on it, and when you stood up, it triggered a flush. It was LOUD and we would go with a buddy, and they would hold the door open for us so we would run out as soon as we were done.



The rest of this is suspiciously like another post called "what was your favorite game when you were my age"

In 2nd grade (Adams Elementary ~ Spokane, WA) the movie STAR WARS was the coolest movie EVER. We all LOVED it. At recess we would gather en masse on The Big Toy (which at that date in time was fairly new playground equipment). My best friend, Kimberly Wheatbrook, had long beautiful hair like Princess Leia, so that was her role. A blond boy (name long forgotten) was Luke Skywalker, and a brunette played Han Solo...other kids filled in the rolls of Chewbaca, R2D2, C-3PO and the dreaded StormTroopers. Me? I was a Nurse. We ran around The Big Toy with pencils (our guns) and shot at the bad guys. When a good-guy got shot, my job was to go and fix them with my pencil. I always wished I had beautiful long, brown hair like Kimberly...

In 4th grade (Bonneville Elementary ~ Orem, UT) I loved to play 4-Square, tetherball and the "cherry drop" bars. 4-square was fun, but it was pretty popular, and I hated to stand in line and wait. Tetherball was soooo much fun! I would play it so much that my hands and arms would be bruised from hitting the ball so many times. We also liked to play on the "cherry drop" bars. I only remember doing one free-fall cherry drop in all my elementary school years. But I would spin and spin and spin until my hands were covered in blisters...

On rainy day recess my favorite games were: Hi-Ho-Cherri-O, Chutes & Ladders, Candy Land, Sorry, Trouble, Hi-Q, and Mastermind. Sometimes, though, I would crawl under a table or a set of desks and get lost in a book.

No comments: