04 January 2008

what was your favorite food when you were a kid?

When I was growing up, my mom would make us whatever we wanted for our birthday dinner. For 3 years in a row, I asked her to make homemade fried chicken... for some reason that really appealed to me. And for 3 years she made it for me.



And for 3 years I got S-I-C-K. I don't know if the fried chicken made me sick, or if I was already sick to begin with...to this day, the idea of fried chicken is better than the actual idea. But that doesn't stop me from eating it every once in a while...



At Thanksgiving and Christmas my mom always made Drinking Custard ~ a recipe your great-great-grandmother gave her. I still get cravings for it sometimes, but since I'm the only one in the family who likes it, I don't make it.

Drinking Custard

14 - 15 eggs, beaten lemon yellow 1 c. sugar (to taste)
1 gallon whole milk 1 t. vanilla or so

To beaten eggs, add sugar and beat in; gradually add to milk in a large double boiler (I use a 6-quart Dutch oven in a canning kettle). Water in bottom of double boiler should be hot, but not boiling. Cook over medium heat. Stir occasionally and keep a watch on the pan. Continue cooking until mixture coats a spoon. If it is stirred often enough, it will not form lumps with the eggs. When it coats a spoon, remove from heat and add vanilla when the custard cools some. Keep refrigerated. Great-Grandma Sackett


Other foods I loved: spaghetti and homemade spaghetti sauce with hot garlic bread; chili-mac; casseroles ~ just about any kind; Godfather's pizza; McDonald's french fries dipped in a McDonald's ice-cream cone; Taco Time Mexi-Fries; mexican food; stir-fry; etc., etc. I just loved to eat...and I still do.

2 comments:

The Royals said...

You should still make drinking custard for yourself! I think it was never strained correctly, so there were always lumps in it. GROSS!

The Dillon 6 said...

if there were gross lumps then it wasn't made right...although the correct lumps are what made it a custard. Maybe you don't like custard. ;)