01 January 2008

who was your best friend when you were my age? what did you like to do together?

sometimes I get jealous when I hear about people talk about friends they have had their whole lives. We moved around so much when I was growing up that I had to make new friends all the time. At the time it was really hard and I was always so sad when I moved. But looking back on it now, I feel like I was always blessed with good friends along the way...


in Kindergarten (Cold Springs Elementary ~ Missoula, MT) I had a friend named Jennifer. She had a horse collection and I loved going to her house to look at them. I moved away after Kindergarten, but moved back at the beginning of 1st grade; Jennifer invited me to her new house for a sleepover. I took my blue-flowered slumber party suitcase. We read Ranger Rick magazines, and danced to her big sister's Captain & Tennille records...we especially liked "Love will keep us together."



in 2nd grade (Adams Elementary ~ Spokane, WA) my best friend was Kimberly Wheatbrook. She had beautiful long brown hair. I really liked a pretty, green, long polyester dress she wore; it reminded me of the Pioneer dresses. During recess (as I mentioned before) we liked to play Star Wars on the big toy on the playground. At home we rode bikes. One weekend we spent a lot of time burying leaves that had fallen off a tree in our backyard...they had strange spots and we thought the tree was dying.

in 4th grade (Bonneville Elementary ~ Orem, UT) my best friend was Aimee Howlett. Kuipo (Ipo) Sing was also my very good friend (she had a friend named Hokulani Aikau who was her best friend, I think). Aimee and I both liked to read. She had a great poster collection on her bedroom walls. We liked to play SPOONS ~ a card game that I've forgotten how to play; it would make us laugh and laugh and laugh. We stayed best friends until I moved from Orem in 7th grade. In 6th grade we rented a movie (My Bodyguard) and sold tickets to kids in the neighborhood. While the movie was playing we also offered babysitting for younger children. We heard that we could get arrested for breaking copyright laws, but since her Dad was a cop and he knew what we were doing, we felt pretty safe. We each made about $7 that day.


No comments: