1st Grade: I started school at Silverdale Elementary in Silverdale, WA, but we moved to Missoula, Montana after just a month. Cold Springs Elementary was across an empty field from our house. Cold Springs was an old, small school. My classroom was in the front of the school. I loved my teacher (but I can't seem to remember her name). I needed extra help in reading and spelling at the beginning of the year. I worked really hard and I loved when our teacher read to us from the big Pug Reader (teacher's version). I remember that for one spelling test I had studied really hard. Our teacher said the word, and used it in a sentence; this is what I heard: "Boat. You must be 18 to boat." It didn't make any sense to me because I'd been in a boat, but I spelled it anyway: b-o-a-t. When the test came back, I got it wrong. The word was v-0-t-e.
2nd Grade: I went to Adams Elementary ~ Spokane, WA. We were the "Adams All-Stars." This was another old school. My classroom was (looking "through" the school from the front yard) in the back, right hand corner. It had 2 walls of windows. Standing at the door, there was a wall with a chalkboard (where the tattle-tale hung), and then Mrs. Bailey's desk in the front corner; our desks were lined up in the center of the classroom. Again from the front door ~ to the right was a wall that lead to the back of the room where we had a coat room ~ a BIG coat room ~ and I would go in for reading help with a few other kids in my class.
3rd Grade: Sandy Elementary ~ Sandy, UT was another big "old" school. Over the years it had gone through some renovations. My classroom was in a newer portion of the school. That section was very open...there were four 3rd grade classes in one big room...two classes sat back to back, and then there was a hall ran down the middle, and two other classes. Is that hard to picture? I don't think I'm explaining it very well. During story time, we would all sit together in the middle of the classes and listen to one of the teachers read to us. This was the class where I sat on a pencil ~ the lead broke off into my leg and I ended up needing to go to the hospital to have it removed. When I watch the tv show "Recess" this is the school that I think of.
4th through 6th Grade: Bonneville Elementary ~ Orem, UT: Bonneville Broncos. This was another "open" school. 3 classrooms made up a "unit." There was an open hallway space of sorts at the front of the rooms (where our coats hung up) and at the back of the room there was an open doorway that lead between the classrooms. Mr. Aikau was my 4th grade teacher (in a combined 3rd/4th grade class) and he had his desk in the back of the class. Our desks faced away from his ~ toward the blackboard. On the wall that had the open doorways, Mr. Aikau had cabinets, a sink, drinking fountain and pencil sharpener. We had our desks arranged in a huge "U" shape...I remember playing Around the World (multiplication) at those desks. I am surprised that I don't remember hearing noise from the other classrooms. I went to another teacher for spelling, and another teacher for math. But Mr. Aikau was considered my homeroom teacher. He would throw chalkboard erasers at kids who were talking while he talked.
My 5th grade teacher (in a combined 5th/6th grade class) also put his desk at the back of the room. Our desks were arranged into tables of 4 or 6 desks. Mr. Knight loved Current Events and we spent a lot of time reading newspapers so we knew what was happening in the world. I was in Mr. Knight's class when we found out that President Reagan had been shot...I remember Mr. Milne (the principal) wheeling in a TV and hooking it up so we could watch the news.
My 6th grade teacher (another combined 5th/6th grade class), Mrs. Harding, sat to the side of our room. We had different stations we completed during the day. There was a big bulletin board area where we displayed our reports and artifacts of our country reports. I did Japan so I could take in the kimono that my Dad brought home from Japan. One time Mrs. Harding needed to leave the room while she was reading outloud to us...she asked me to take over for her. But there was a silly part in the book (I wish I could remember which book it was) and I started to giggle (which I did a lot that year) and I just couldn't start...I was very embarassed, but it was also funny.
(I've searched and searched and I can't find a picture of Bonneville Elementary in Orem...next time we go to Utah, I guess I'll have to take my own picture.)



2 comments:
I also attended John "Adams" Elementary school and we were the Adams All-Stars! Only my school was in Stockton, California. Small world!
Hey, from MS Virtual Earth I copied a photo of Bonneville. Don't know how to include it here... so I'll email it to you. Odd thatere aren't any "ground level" shots. I seem to remember a playground behind the school where you hung on the bars... Is that in the picture anywhere?
Love you... Dad
Post a Comment