We moved around so often that it's hard to pinpoint one place.
We lived with Grandma May in her "old white house" a couple of times. I loved the big willow tree she had in her yard. We would climb under the canopy of branches and set up a little table and chairs and play house. It smelled very earthy and musky. When we lived there I could tell when it was going to rain because it "smelled like rain."
When we lived in Sandy, UT, our house had a 3-story tree house in the backyard ~ it overlooked the Kentucky Fried Chicken drive-in and the smell on the third-story was so tasty!! Over 30 years later, when I smell fresh Kentucky Fried Chicken I am 8 years old in a tree house.
The one consistent place I loved was my bedroom. I would read in my bedroom and get lost in the pages. I had my own bedroom in 3rd grade...it was in the basement and had wood paneling. One time it rained a lot and the floor flooded, but since it was old cement-like linolem, nothing really got ruined. In 4th grade I shared a bedroom for a year while we rented a home. Then from 5th grade until the middle of my sophomore year in high school, I was lucky enough to have my own room again. I liked having my own space.
05 February 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment