21 October 2008

Do you remember learning how to swim?

I never took lessons, so I don't really remember a specific process of learning to swim. I always loved being in the water. We swam in lakes and canals and in the ocean at Family Reunions...sometimes in a pool...I just remember loving to float. And I could do the "doggy paddle." If I ever got worried that I wasn't going to be able to "swim" I would flip over to my back and just float.



In my sophomore year of high school (at Juanita High School in Kirkland, Washington) I did take a swimming class in PE. I learned some very basic techniques, but I don't think I do any stroke the "right" way.



2 comments:

Grandpa Dennis said...

I learned to swim at the Polson City beach on Flathead Lake in Montana. That lake is huge and sometimes when the winds were just right we could body surf on the three to four foot waves. Once we went camping at Blue Bay and I had borrowed the fins and mask of my friend John, back in Spokane. Don't remember exactly what happened, but the mask found its way to the bottom of Blue Bay and as far as I know... it's still there today in about 12 feet of water. I took summer swim lessons at Comstock Park swimming pool in Spokane, up on 29th Street. It was a full Olympic size pool with two low diving boards and one high dive. I LOVED going off the high dive and splashing with either the cannon ball or jack-knife - SPLASSH!!! The water would be fresh and clear right after a cleaning... but very cold. The deep end was 12 feet and there was a time when I could lay on the bottom for 30-40 seconds before shooting to the top to get air :)

The Royals said...

I just assumed that our whole family liked to swim as much as me. I look at a picture of a pool and I long to be in it.