I won 3rd Runner-Up in our 3rd grade spelling bee at Sandy Elementary School in Sandy, Utah in 1978/79. I think there were 4 classes in the spelling bee. The trophy was silver and it said:
Missy May
3rd Runner-Up
3rd Grade Spelling Bee
I was upset when I missed the word: o'clock. I said "o hyphen c-l-o-c-k" instead of apostrophe. I cried, but not as much as I cried in 5th grade when I didn't even make it to the school spelling bee ~ that was a horrible day in my school career.
Shortly after I won the trophy, the name plate got scratched. I don't know how it happened, but every time I saw it, I would cringe and try to rub it out.
Daddy and I have moved 6 times. During all those moves, we only lost one box...and I am pretty sure my poor trophy was in that one box...along with a few other treasures.

No comments:
Post a Comment