In 4th grade (Bonneville Elementary ~ Orem, UT), I was in Mr. Aikau's class (i-cow) ~ it was a combined 3rd/4th grade classroom. He was a Hawaiian who loved his food...when he ate in the lunchroom he would eat 3 lunches. He opened the tops of the little milk cartons all the way and would drop the cake (frosting down) into the milk...after the milk soaked into the cake, he ate it with a spoon.
On the last day of school we had a Bubble-blowing contest. Mr. Aikau gave us each a pack of Hubba-Bubba bubble gum. Somehow, I managed to WIN the contest! My prize? A whole CARTON of Hubba-Bubba bubble gum. I'm sure my mom was soooo happy when I came home with it! ;)
Other random memories from 4th grade:
we made candles. First we poured a colored wax (our choice of color) into a soda can. After it set, Mr. Aikau cut the can away. Then we glued a family picture (or another picture of our choosing) onto the candle and dipped it into clear wax to coat and seal the picture. Sometimes there were air bubbles. I did a very mean thing...there was a boy in my class named Robert Bristol. His brother was older than us (in 6th grade) and he was not nice. I managed to massage an air bubble on Robert's picture right on top of his brother's face. I was quite pleased until I saw how upset Robert was! Then I felt terrible about it...sadly, I didn't feel bad enough to confess what I had done.
We learned a Polynesian drum-beat of some sort (with "music" sticks) and performed for our parents during a "Back to School" night. We sat cross-legged on the floor and pounded the floor with our sticks. I remember daydreaming that there were disco lights and those funky starlights behind us, and that some TV news camera was filming us with weird zoomed in camera angles. It was silly, but still vivid in my memory.
I played football at recess. When I told Malcolm tonight he said, "Uh, football, Mommy? Football?! Um, don't you mean SOCCER? That's a better sport for girls to play!" I think if I were in his class he would be afraid of the 2nd grade "me." ;)
Our school had pencil machines outside of the office. For a quarter you could buy a special "Bonneville Broncos" pencil or some other silly type of things. One day as I was walking past the machine I noticed that there was a quarter jammed in the slot. I went to the office and lied and told them it was my quarter...the office lady looked at me very surprised and said, "Missy, I'm pretty sure that's not your quarter. Someone else already reported it." I was so sure they were going to call my mom and tell her what I had done. I was very embarassed about lying, and probably even more embarassed that I had been caught. It took a long time for me to walk past the office again.
27 January 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment