17 January 2008

tell me a memory from 2nd grade...

When I was in 2nd grade (1977/78 ~ Adams Elementary ~ Spokane, WA), I had my turn to be the Spotlight Student. I sat in the hallway for about 5 minutes, while the kids in my class raised their hands and said nice things about me. Over the weekend our teacher, Ms. Bailey, made a big poster that hung at the front of the room.

Some of the things may have read like this:

1. Missy has pretty hair.
2. Missy is kind to animals.
3. Missy is good at Star Wars at recess.
4. Missy is a good friend.
5. Missy is an excellent student.

I don't really know if those things were said, but since we had to say NICE things, what else is there to say? I'll tell you what:

10. Missy is a foxy lady.



That's right ~ a foxy lady! It turned my face very red, and I still get embarassed when I think about how I felt that day. I look at that class picture and wonder which one of those boys thought I was a foxy lady.

+ + + + + + + + +

Mrs. Bailey kept a special thing hanging at the front of the room. If we chose to be a tattle-tale, she would pin the 3 foot, crocheted tail to the back of our pants and we would have to wear it around all day. I think that's why I still have no tolerance for tattle-tale'ing.

+ + + + + + + + +

We had behavior incentives on our desk. They were construction paper rectangles divided into 6 squares. If we got in trouble for any reason in class (talking to neighbors during silent time, came in late, etc.) we would lose a square (she cut it off or colored it in). Each square represented 5 minutes of recess. On a special day, our whole class would go outside. Those who had lost squares had to wait at the bike rack with Mrs. Bailey until our "punishment" time had ticked off. I lost 5 minutes once, and it was so hard to stand there and watch all of our classmates play while we just stood there!

+ + + + + + + + +

My favorite book was Tiki Tiki Tembo and I read it a LOT that year. I'm sure the Librarian wondered why my parents didn't just buy it for me.

+ + + + + + + + +

One day our class lined up at the front of the classroom for lunch. I remember Mrs. Bailey looking right at me saying, "We have a special guest joining our class for lunch today. Let's be on our best behavior." Imagine how I felt when the door opened and my MOM was standing there! She came to have lunch with me for my birthday!

1 comment:

Sandii said...

My second grade memory was of Mrs. Bell. She was my speech therapy teacher. I have a lisp and it is really noticable when I am tired, even to this day. I had to go to Mrs. Bell's room each day for therapy so I could speak clearly. We all sat in a circle and did speech exercises. The ones I remember most are the tongue-twisters. Peter Piper Picked a Peck of Pickled Peppers, Who Sells Sea Shells down by the Sea Shore, How much Wood can a Woodchuck Chuck, I Slit a Sheet, Theosopholis Thistle, etc ....... I can still say them all perfectly (even the ones that can come out very wrong if you mess up).